At the fall 2022 PA-NOSS Annual Conference, PA-NOSS will honor the memory and legacy of Pauline Chow through a scholarship award. The $500 award(s) acknowledge the academic achievement of a student who has successfully completed developmental math.
Scholarship Recipient(s) will also receive a $50 gift card, and complimentary breakfast and lunch on the day of the award. One night of lodging shall be awarded, excluding meals, to an awardee living > 90 miles from the conference site.
In order to be considered for the award, students must:
- have successfully completed the developmental math sequence
- be in good academic standing
- be a current undergraduate student in Pennsylvania at the time of nomination and planning to enroll in the following semester
- be nominated by a faculty member or academic advisor
- A nomination letter from a faculty member or academic advisor that addresses why this student was nominated and what makes this student a good candidate that exemplifies commitment, perseverance, and resilience.
- Faculty member or academic advisor will submit an unofficial transcript along with the nomination
- Nomination letter and unofficial transcripts can be submitted to ChowScholarship@gmail.com by September 15, 2022
Pauline Chow taught mathematics for 32 years at Harrisburg Area Community College. Her love of her students and dedication to their success was always her first priority. In addition, she participated in numerous student success initiatives, co-wrote three textbooks and created many college courses through iTunes U. She participated on the board of PA-NOSS, was president of the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics and Pennsylvania State Math Association of Two-Year Colleges. She was especially proud to be the recipient of the 2015 AMATYC Teaching Excellence Award. Pauline was loyal to her family, friends and colleagues. Her humor and funny stories were legendary.
In Professor Chow’s words, “The greatest joy in this profession is to be able to work with students, empowering them to take ownership of their path, and helping them see their own accomplishments. At the Developmental Math level, I especially take pride in changing my students’ outlook on mathematics.”
Pauline’s Obituary https://obits.pennlive.com/us/obituaries/pennlive/name/pauline-chow-obituary?id=12493546